Designing and Facilitating Active Learning Experiences in the College Classroom
Virtual Professional Development Program for the LWTech Mathematics Department
An online professional development workshop series to support you in designing active learning experiences in your courses.
Sponsored by the LWTech Mathematics Department
and funded by the SPARK "Flipping the Script on Math Pathways" grant.
January 24 - February 13, 2022
Welcome to this workshop series for faculty and staff at LWTech! I'm looking forward to working with you!
Flipped and active learning classrooms are dynamic and interactive. It takes a different set of skills to design, manage, and facilitate an in-person student-centered, active learning experience.
In this online workshop series, we will explore different types of active learning strategies and discuss how to create a successful learning environment for you and your students.
You will design a lesson (or re-design an existing lesson) that includes one active learning strategy, and you have the option to share your lesson with other participants to get feedback.
- Design (or re-design) a lesson that includes one active learning strategy.
- Identify where to find "flippable moments" in a course.
- Consider the different “levels of intensity” when planning classroom activities.
- Discuss strategies to encourage students to come to class prepared and ready to participate.
- Discuss how to manage time, group dynamics, and student engagement during class time.
- Consider how roles change for students and instructors when implementing flipped and active learning experiences.
- Explore example teaching strategies to increase student engagement and improve learning.
See the details below for information about the schedule, topoics, and dates.
NOTE: When you enroll, please make sure to use your LWTech email address. You do NOT need to enter any payment information.
Thanks so much,
Barbi Honeycutt, Ph.D.
This workshop series includes:
- 6 self-paced online lessons (Each lesson takes 20-30 minutes to complete. Try to complete 2 lessons each week. See the schedule below.)
- 1 synchronous/live Q&A session (February 11 @ 2:00-2:30pm PT)
When you enroll, you will get:
- Instant access to all lessons, videos, worksheets, and resources. Lessons are also available for you in audio format so you can listen on the go if you prefer.
- Invitation to the live, synchronous Q&A session where you can connect with colleagues, ask questions, and share resources. The session will be recorded.
- Access to the private discussion forum. This forum is only open to you and your colleagues participating in this workshop series.
- A copy of my whitepaper 10 Strategies to Encourage Students to Do the Pre-Class Work in Flipped and Active Learning Courses.
- A copy of my e-book: FLIP the First 5 Minutes of Class: 50 Focusing Activities to Engage Your Students and Create More Time for Learning
- Access to all resources and videos until March 11, 2022 (30-day access)
Lessons 1 & 2 (Monday, January 24 - Sunday, January 30):
- Lesson 1: Quick Review: The Flipped Classroom Model & Active Learning
- Lesson 2: Not All Active Learning Strategies are Created Equal
Lessons 3 & 4 (Monday, January 31 - Sunday, February 6):
- Lesson 3: How to Use the PLAN Framework to Design an Engaging Lesson
- Lesson 4: Student Success, Motivation, and Support
- Lesson 5: Tips for Facilitating Active Learning Experiences
- Bonus Lesson: Choose your own adventure! Complete a bonus module that interests you the most:
Lesson 6: Activities to Start Class and Focus Students’ Attention
Lesson 7: Activities to Tap into Students’ Prior Knowledge and Experiences
Lesson 8: Activities to Promote Critical Thinking Skills
Lesson 9: Activities to Assess Students’ Learning
Lesson 10: Activities to Encourage Reflection and Debriefing
Live Q&A Session (Friday, February 11 @ 2:00-2:30pm CT)
Hi, I'm Barbi! For the past 20 years, I have been creating programs, events, and resources to help educators increase student engagement and improve learning. I try to celebrate what you are already doing and encourage you to try new ideas. I work with professors, instructors, faculty development professionals, instructional designers, postdocs, and graduate students who want to learn how to teach and design engaging learning experiences. I am the founder of FLIP It Consulting and creator and host of the Lecture Breakers podcast.